Important Notes about EZdok Camera Addon (EZCA)
While EZdok does some very needed and cool things in FSX to increase realism it also creates other issues which I would like to give work-arounds for here. Note that I'm currently using version 1.17
(I cannot speak for any previous version).
- Spot view panning can have issues in that you can pan left and right but not up and down. Note that when using an EZdok Aircraft view you can up and down but it's tilting from your current viewpoint, that means you are always panning away from your aircraft. Instead you want to be moving to viewpoint around the center of the aircraft. The problem seems to only occur when you use the F11 key. But this can work instead even though it's not as nice:
- Make sure A and S is not assigned in your FSX keyboard commands. Instead go to "Options" -> "Define Keys and Buttons" menu in the EZdok software and under the "Default view system" section assign A to "Next in current category", and S to "Next category". You might want to do the same thing with Shift-A and Shift-S which goes to previous instead of next.
- For more discussions on this please read the forum here.
- It breaks your F12 key (Top-Down) - even during Global Disable. I have not been able to get it to get it work. Let me know if you know how. But there is a couple of work-arounds:
- If you have assigned a keyboard shortcut for changing view mode as per instructions above for the spot view panning issue, you can get to a working top-down view by first clicking S until you are in spot view, then click A one or more times to get to the normal top-down view!
- Alternatively you can also use the shortcut for the command "View (open new top-down window)" in FSX's Options->Settings->Controls->Buttons/keys menu. Or you can get it through the menus Views->New View->Outside->Top-Down. Then the top-down view works fine - you just get it in a smaller window on top of your main window.
- Unfortunately it overrides separate keyboard commands done by HIDMacros so you just have to assign keyboard shortcuts in EZdok that you are not using with HIDMacros on ANY keyboard. If you want to be able to use ALL possible keys in HIDMacros you can use keyboard combinations (keys with a modifier), that means, use Shift- or Ctrl- or Ctrl-Shift- for your key. Then it will never conflict with HIDMacros (unless you also use keyboard combinations there!).
- The interface is a bit clunky but once you learn the ins and outs you'll enjoy what this software adds to your experience!
Tips (not mentioned in the manual)
- If you want to delete an assignment (keyboard or joystick), click on the field so that it becomes red, then hit Escape.
- If you notice a quick jump in the beginning of a pan between two camera views it's because the two cameras don't use the same zoom level. The zoom level can be adjusted with the mouse scroll wheel. In the top-right corner of FSX it shows you the zoom level so that you can easily ensure all your cameras use the same exact zoom level.
Despite the issues mentioned above it's worth using this software.
Also available are some basic set up videos from Eric Krueger instructing how to set up EZdok in FSX: http://www.simforums.com/forums/my-ezdok-setup-videos_topic38637.html
(third video explains nicely the HAT switch inverse button as well)
There is also a freeware version EZdok Walk but that one doesn't do all the neat stuff the above payware version does.